Talk to a Doctor From Home
- Call, Email or Video Chat Anytime Day or Night
- Get Connected in Minutes!
- Diagnosis & Prescriptions - No Doctor Fees
- Small monthly price covers your family!
Avoid Skin Cancer - Protect Your Skin
With July already upon the Tampa Florida area, it’s important to remain vigilant about the sun and how you can minimize your risk of skin damage. Not only is sun damage unsightly, it can also be a dangerous gateway to more serious health concerns like skin cancer. With the number of skin cancer cases per year on the rise, both in our region and worldwide, here are some tips on how to protect your skin while still having fun outdoors over the remainder of this summer!
- Always remember the sun’s rays are at their strongest between the hours of 10:00 AM and 4:00 PM, meaning you need to be aware when you are spending more than a half an hour outdoors during these periods. Be sure to wear sunscreen with a “sun protection factor” (SPF) of at least 30, and reapply after you go for a swim or get off the golf course. Be especially cautious when you are out on the water, as intensity of the sun increases as it reflects off the water. It's exceptionally easy to trick yourself into thinking "I'm not getting burned" during those fun boating days.
- Wear a hat! A hat can be one of the greatest defenses against sun damage on the face, and they just happen to look good on both men and women (appropriate styles). Take a look at Target or Amazon for some great summer beach styles, or wear your favorite Rays hat even when you’re just hanging around Tampa or St. Petersburg!
- Don’t forget to protect your lips! Make sure you are using a SPF ("sun protection factor") protective lip balm in addition to your 30+ SPF (sun protection factor)This will also prevent your lips from drying out and cracking in the blistering July heat!
- Are you still wanting a little of that “tan” looked? Try some high quality sunless
- Choose snacks with antioxidants, like blackberries, blueberries, strawberries andAntioxidants help neutralize free radicals in our environment which can help accelerate the aging process. So be sure to pack your beach cooler with lots of these fantastic snacks for your next trip to St. Pete beach. Be sure to put PLENTY of drinking water in that cooler too!
- And don’t forget to wear yourMake sure you choose lenses that have UV protection. It’s even possible to get contacts with UV protection included. With so many fashion options available, protecting your own eyes has NEVER looked so good.
Posted by: Michelle Germann
Created on: Mon 16 July 2012 00:47
Last modified: Tue 09 October 2012 15:30